NRI Quota in Medical Colleges in Kerala
Getting admission to a Kerala medical college through the NRI quota is easy for those who can afford the higher fee rates. The NRI candidates must also fulfil the eligibility criteria and submit the required documents to avail of the NRI quota seats. But for NRI-sponsored applicants, admission to MBBS in Kerala medical colleges is relatively easy, even with low NEET Scores. If you are looking for MBBS admission under NRI quota in medical colleges in Kerala , learn more about the NRI Documents Required for MBBS Admission in Kerala.
Who is Eligible for the NRI Quota in Medical Colleges in Kerala?
- The applicants who are eligible to apply for NRI MBBS Quota are those who depend on their family members or close relatives who are working overseas.
- Relationships can include parents, siblings, fathers and siblings (including First cousins), spouse, husband half-brother, half-sister or adoptive father/mother working in another country.
Kerala MBBS NRI Admission Procedure
The procedure for Kerala MBBS NRI admission consists of the following steps:
- Meet the eligibility: Applicants must meet the NMC and Kerala Government’s eligibility criteria to apply for the MBBS admission.
- Check NRI Quota – Interested students should shortlist medical colleges having NRI quota and also check the eligibility criteria of the particular medical institution.
- Register with the Private Management Association for the MBBS course.
- Apply online – Fill out the application form and upload all documents per the checklist. NRI documents required include a passport with a visa stamp, a Document showing NRI Status, etc.
- Pay application fees – Pay the application fee.
- Wait for selection – Based on the applicant’s eligibility, NRI documents and availability of seats, the college will release the provisional list of selected candidates.
- Confirm admission – Once selected, students must complete the admission formalities by paying the tuition fees fixed for the NRI Quota.
List of Documents Required for NRI MBBS admission in Kerala
1. Certificate of Relationship: Issued by village office /Panchayat etc
2. Employment Certificate of Sponsor
- The employer issues the document, which is then verified through the Embassy.
- Self-employed people must also have their job status certified by the Embassy.
- Without an Embassy certificate, a stamp on the sponsor’s passport indicating the employment of the NRI Sponsor from the Embassy/Consulate is acceptable.
- A certificate issued by an Embassy/Consulate to confirm NRI / Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) status. Green Card documents will also be accepted.
3.Passport with Visa :
- The passport of NRI sponsor must have a visa on the passport that is stamped and certified through the Embassy.
4. Affidavit: An affidavit for of Relationship between the Applicant and sponsor(Self-attested):
5. The proof of citizenship of the sponsor:
- The person who sponsors should include someone who is an Indian Citizen, an Overseas Citizen of India or a person with Indian Origin.
- Relevant documents must be presented to determine the sponsor’s citizenship status.
Read: List of Top Best Medical Colleges in Kerala
NRI Quota Seats at Kerala Medical Colleges
- As per the usual procedure, up to 15% of total seats are reserved as NRI quota seats in Kerala’s medical institutions. The number of seats available under each college’s NRI quota varies with their overall seats for the course. Reputed colleges such as Amrita School of Medicine have around 40-50 NRI seats.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS Admission NRI Quota
Candidates seeking NRI quota admission in MBBS in Kerala medical colleges need to fulfil the following eligibility conditions:
- Nationality – Applicants must be Indian citizens or Persons of Indian Origin (PIO)/Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) cardholders.
- Educational Qualification – A minimum score of 50% in Physics, Chemistry and Biology is required in Class 12 exams from any recognized boards like CBSE, ICSE and other recognized boards.
- NEET – Clearing the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) with the prescribed cut-off is mandatory.
- Age – Applicants should be at least 17 as of 31st December of admission year. There is no upper age limit.
- NRI Status – The applicant should be an NRI or have a blood relative (parent/grandparent/first cousin) who is an NRI. Applicants need to submit the documents to prove their NRI status/relation.
In addition to the above essential eligibility criteria, individual colleges may specify certain qualifying conditions for applying under their NRI quota.
NRI Seats in Kerala Medical Colleges
Some of the top private medical colleges in Kerala that admit students under the NRI quota are:
- Amrita School of Medicine, Kochi – Around 40 NRI seats
- Sree Gokulam Medical College, Trivandrum – 15% NRI quota seats
- Jubilee Mission Medical College, Thrissur – 15% NRI seats
- Azeezia Institute of Medical Sciences, Kollam – 15% of seats reserved
- Believers Church Medical College, Thiruvalla – NRI quota of 15%
- AIMS Pariyaram Medical College, Kannur – A total of 15% of NRI seats
The fee structure of NRI MBBS fees in private medical colleges and self-financing colleges is fixed by the Fee Regulatory Committee for Medical Education in Kerala, appointed by the Government of Kerala. The fee for the MBBS course in the NRI quota is significantly higher than regular seats but still affordable compared to studying medicine abroad.
Procedure to Apply for NRI MBBS Quota Admission
The key steps in the application process for NRI quota MBBS admission are:
- Check eligibility criteria for the NRI category and ensure documents are in place.
- Identify the medical colleges you want to apply to and check their application process.
- Obtain the application form online from the college website.
- Fill out the form providing accurate details and upload scanned copies of documents.
- Make the application fee payment through online mode.
- Submit the completed application before the due date.
- Save and print the confirmation page once the form is submitted.
- Wait for the merit list release and check if you have been provisionally selected.
- In case of selection, complete further admission formalities within the stipulated time.
- Report at the college on the reporting date as per schedule.
Reservation of NRI Quota Seats in Kerala Medical Colleges
The reservation of NRI quota seats in Kerala’s medical and dental colleges is as follows:
- Of the 15% NRI quota seats for government colleges, 10% are reserved for NRIs and 5% for children of Indian workers abroad.
- In private self-financing colleges, 15% of seats come under a single NRI quota with no internal categorization.
- 50% of NRI quota seats are reserved for students who have completed their Class 11 and 12 or equivalent exams from Kerala.
- Any unveiled NRI seats can only be transferred to the management quota in private colleges. Government colleges must surrender vacant seats to the state quota.
- There is no domicile reservation under the NRI quota. Students from any state in India can apply subject to meeting eligibility criteria.
NRI MBBS Fee Structure in Kerala
The fees for NRI quota MBBS seats in Kerala are higher than the regular merit quota seats but are still affordable compared to studying medicine abroad. Here is an overview:
- Government colleges – Annual fees of around Rs 6-7 lakhs for NRI quota seats
- Private colleges – Annual tuition fees of Rs12-25 lakhs for NRI category seats
- Additional expenses – Registration, hostel and mess fees, deposits, insurance etc.
- Dollar payments – Some colleges allow fee payment in USD for NRI students.
- Scholarships – Certain colleges provide scholarships and fee waivers for deserving students.
NRI quota in medical colleges in Kerala is an excellent option for NRIs settled abroad. Although the NEET score for MBBS admission under the NRI quota is lower than other categories, the fee is higher for the NRI quota than other reserved categories. If you have all the NRI Documents Required for MBBS Admission in Kerala, studying in your own state is a great option.